Darren has helped to plan and deliver a number of arts projects, programming for festival and events and supported community engagement activity for many years in the North-West. Darren is also an experienced marketeer, having devised and delivered the marketing campaigns for Manchester Pride and Waterside Arts Centre.
Artistic Programming & Commissions
- BYTE: Paul Harfleet (Manchester Pride & Dig the City 2014) An art installation that used the Alan Turing memorial sculpture as a catalyst for conversation.
- The Pansy Project exhibition (Manchester Pride & Dig the City 2014) Artist Paul Harfleet plants pansies at the site of homophobic attacks.
- Queer to Stay (The Lowry 2011). Celebrating 21 years of Manchester Pride, telling the story of its humble beginnings and how it reached its current position as one of Europe’s largest and liveliest celebrations and the impact Pride has made on LGBT communities in and around Manchester.
- Stranger in the Night: Margarita Pracatan (Manchester Pride 2012) The Cuban Chanteuse visited Manchester for a two night only showing of her brand new production - marking the UK premiere.
- First UK public screening of Pathe’s movie Pride, prior to its general release. Secret screenings in an enchanted miners club in Moston, echoing the themes of the film.
Jam on a Tram: the Metrolink Sessions - A chartered Metrolink tram, flooded it with live music as visitors headed to MediaCity:UK
Coming Out: From Script to Screen - an insightful debate with ITV surrounding Coronation Street, with a panel including legendary creator, the late Tony Warren, discussing the stories of LGBT characters and how these are taken from script to screen.
- Currently Arts Centre Manager - Waterside Arts Centre
- Producer - The Community Centre
- Associate Producer - Out from Under Theatre Company
- Festival Coordinator - SHOUT Festival, Birmingham November 2015
- Duty Manager - Waterside Arts Centre November 2015 - present
- Operations Manager - Waterside Arts Centre 2004 - 2007
- Assistant Manager - Leeds Grand Theatre & Opera House 2003 - 2004
- Assistant House Manager - The Lowry 2000 - 2003
- Programming - Manchester Pride Fringe/Superbia 2012 - 2014
- Music programming - Manchester Pride Big Weekend various
- Event Manager / Stage Manager - Manchester Amateur Choral Competition - RNCM 2015
- Project Management - Out in the Community: Manchester Pride 2008/2009
- Marketing/Site Coordinator - Heartbreak Productions 2007
- Duty House Manager - Carry On Cruising Walk the Plank and The Lowry 2001
- Duty House Manager - Bambuco Walk the Plan and the Lowry 2002
- Artistic programming
- Theatre audience management
- House management
- Facilities and venue services
- Performance production delivery
- Community engagement/outreach activities
- Marketing and communications planning and execution
- Supporting and developing emerging artists and performers
- Financial management services - budget setting/forecasting
- Arts Administration